Friday, July 8, 2011

First Week Completed

 More photos from the Center House Hostel.







After one week and a day, Arusha is beginning to feel familiar.  The week of orientation has gone very well and I'm now in my home stay.  We're going to Arusha National Park for a safari tomorrow and next week I'll be in a village.  Several other volunteers are going as well.  My biggest challenge so far has been riding on the Dala Dala which is the bus system here.  Actually riding on the bus is not the problem, it's knowing when to get off.  The Dala has about 15 seats but they take on people even when the seats are full.  So if you're in the middle of the bus, you cannot see the landmarks to know you're near where you need to get off.  Plus I'm not very good with the landmarks yet since so many places look the same.  This morning I took the yellow Dala and missed the place I was supposed to get off and take the green Dala so I ended up in downtown rather than north of town where the GSC office is located.  I walked back to the Narobi-Moshi Road and was able to get on the green Dala so I managed to get to the training on time.

It's almost time to leave so I'll try to add a few more pictures and tell you more about my time here later.  I will not have internet access next week so probably will not be able to update until much later.  Just know if you don't hear from me that I'm still doing well and am enjoying my time in Tanzania.
Addis Ababa Ethiopia Airport
Gate 11, Addis Ababa Airport

Kilimanjaro International Airport
                                                              
Mombassa, Kenya Airport

My Plane to Ethiopia








1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting. Sounds so interesting!!
    Take care! Lynnette

    ReplyDelete